The An Tir Handbook,
3rd Edition, May XXXIII/1998
A Glossary of An Tirian Terms
- Affectionate nick-name for Three Mountains.
- Abbreviation for an Award of Arms. In eastern
kingdoms the common abbreviation is "A.o.A.".
- Award Roster
- A list of people and their awards, sorted by
the person's first S.C.A. name.
- Portable toilet. a.k.a. porta-castle, privy,
- Event safety person and/or branch officer. Not
known throughout the Known World, constables often
man the event gate, and provide wandering patrols
through the evening to maintain site security and
- The Prince and Princess, either the heirs to
the Kingdom throne, or the rulers of a principality.
- A variation of the Sergeant, based on service.
Not known in all baronies.
- Heavy fighters with little or no fighting rank.
- A unique title held by The Dowager Princess,
Janeltis Karaine Starfollower, once princess of An Tir. See
article elsewhere in this handbook for details.
- A modern western-rite term for the lists field. Inherited
in An Tir from the West Kingdom, where one of the lists fields
was affectionately known as "Eric the Red" after the color of the ropes.
- A contract between individuals in which an
exchange of support or protection is promised.
- A variation of the Sergeant, based on rapier combat.
Invocation of the Lists
- The presentation of the banners of all branches,
and of all the combatants and their consorts to the Crown.
Most often held at the beginning of the Crown Lists, and
which includes the ceremony whereby the combatants swear
to uphold the rules of the lists.
- More properly: The Royal University of Ithra. An
institution within An Tir for the presentation of classes
in medieval topics. For more details, see article elsewhere
in this handbook.
- A variation of Sergeant, based on equestrian activities.
- Barony of. Pronounced mah-dro-NAH
- Marshal-in-Charge. At an event, the marshal responsible
for ensuring safety during combat activities.
- Noble Estate
- A collective term for the royal peers and landed barons
and baronesses of the kingdom. The Noble Estate meets to
give advice to the Crown.
Order of Precedence
- A list of all award-holding people in An Tir, in the
order of their precedence. (Current royalty, ducal, county,
viscounty, peerages, grants of arms, and awards of arms.)
- A royal peer who is the ceremonial head and advisor to
a particular branch within the Kingdom. See elsewhere in
this handbook for more details.
- A baronial rank earned by the successful completion of
a series of trials and competence in the are of heavy combat.
- "The Steps of the Cathedral". One of the e-mail lists
for the Kingdom of An Tir. Used to avoid talking about
modern appliances in a medieval context; as in "See you
on the Steps."
- The ruler of a principality.
- Those who perform the valuable service of carrying
water to combatants. Not known throughout the Known World.
- A variation of the Sergeant, based on archery or light combat.