The An Tir Handbook, 3rd Edition, May XXXIII/1998
Customs, Etiquette, and Playing the Game
Forms of Address or "But what do I call them?"
Based on ban-Iarla Daedin MacAoidh a’Mhonadh’s Protocol in the S.C.A. class notes.
(More information on Alternate Titles in many languages.)
- Untitled Nobility:
- "Milord/Milady" (Milord Bob/Milady Jane). Everyone starts with this
address and people of ANY RANK can properly be styled in this manner.
- Award of Arms:
- "My Lord/My Lady" (Lord Bob/Lady Jane)
- Grant of Arms:
- "Your Lordship/Your Ladyship" (The Honourable Bob/The Honourable Jane)
- "Your Excellency" (His Excellency, Baron Bob/Her Excellency, Baroness Jane).
- All peerages come with a Patent of Arms and are equal in rank.
- Order of Chivalry: Members of the Order of Chivalry come in two flavors: Knights and Masters at Arms. Knights are generally addressed as "Sir Bob/Sir Jane", Masters are generally addressed as "Master Bob/Mistress Jane".
- Order of the Laurel: "Master Bob/Mistress Jane".
- Order of the Pelican: "Master Bob/Mistress Jane".
- Royal Peerage:
- Royal peerages generally come with a Patent of Arms and have varying levels of precedence.
- Viscounties: "Your Excellency" (His Excellency, Viscount Bob/Her Excellency, Viscountess Jane). Viscounties have the lowest precedence of the Royal Peerages.
- Counties: "Your Excellency" (His Excellency, Count Bob/Her Excellency,
Countess Jane). Common equivalent titles include: Earl, Jarl, Graf/Graefin,
Mormaor/Banamormaor, Iarla/ban-Iarla (Pronounced: ‘YAR-la’ and ‘ban-YAR-la’).
Counties have a greater precedence than Viscounties.
- Duchies: "Your Grace" (His Grace, Duke Bob/Her Grace, Duchess Jane).
Common equivalent titles include: Jarl, Iarla/Jarlina, Diuc/Ban-Diuc. Duchies have
greater precedence than Counties.
- Current rulers during Their reigns.
- Tanist/Tanista: The heirs to a principality seat. No set titles. Sometimes referred to as "Lord [name of principality]/Lady of [name of principality]" (Tanist Bob/Tanista Jane). The Tanist and Tanista have the lowest precedence of the royalty.
- Prince/Princess: The rulers of a principality. "Your Highness" (His Highness, Prince Bob/Her Highness, Princess Jane). The Prince and Princess have greater precedence than the Tanist and Tanista.
- Crown Prince/Crown Princess: The heirs to the Throne, the next King and Queen. "Your Royal Highness" (His Royal Highness, Prince Bob/Her Royal Highness, Princess Jane). The Crown Prince and Crown Princess have greater precedence than a Prince and Princess.
- King/Queen: The rulers of a kingdom. "Your Majesty" or "Your Grace" (His Majesty, King Bob/Her Majesty,Queen Jane). Also referred to jointly as "The Crown" or "The Throne". The King and Queen have the highest precedence of anyone in the kingdom.